Saturday, September 04, 2010

pray for daisy update

Daisy's tumor shrank from the size of a large grapefruit to the size of a slice of a small tangerine! Praise the Lord!!! - britt merrick (9/3/10)

just thought i'd share daisy's prayer link and some words from her mom (kate) that are gonna make you run straight for the kleenex box.  
  
Good morning friends…
Kate here.  I’ve been thinking about thankfulness.  Some wonder how I can be thankful for anything during this horrific trial.  I didn’t ask for Daisy to get cancer, but I also don’t deserve to have 2 gorgeous children.  I didn’t ask for the cancer to come back, but I also didn’t ask for an amazing family unit, selfless husband, and friends who lay down their lives for me.  I don’t ask for affliction, but I also didn’t ask to be born in a hospital overlooking the Pacific while others are born in garbage dumps in Egypt.  I have much to be thankful for, starting with my next breath.  I am an extremely blessed woman.
There is so much to be thankful for today, starting with Daisy’s appetite.  She’s eating really well!  She’s also got her spunk back, and that’s my favorite part.
I’ve been thinking a lot over the last couple of days as the whiplash (from the bad news) wears off, and I feel like God’s really helping us as a family process our situation, and take each day as it comes.  A wise woman told me “all we have is today.  it’s all anyone has”, and that’s a really sweet thing.  Learning to enjoy each day for what it is really makes life more fun.  And since this week she is not puking all day long or connected to an IV pole, and since we happened to be quarantined, we decided to have some fun.
I had been promising Daisy for several months that we would make her room all crazy, like a jungle.  Two days ago I thought, why not today?  But instead of a jungle we made it “underwater”… I mean, why not?  Daisy has made the most of today also, and since today her hair is coming out in clumps, she’s keeping it in a bag so we can give it to birds to make nests out of! I mean, why not??  She is seriously the coolest little girl I know.  And, she has a newfound love for classical music.  Preferably Mozart.  It really gets the creative juices flowing.  I mean, why not???
So, for the bummer part of the post:  her bones are killing her.  Her daily shot stimulates white blood cell growth which is made in the bone marrow.  And we really like white blood cells. It makes her feel like she has the achy flu.  Tylenol helps some, but my little girl hates medicine.  She won’t take it.  Just like zofran helps nausea, but twice she barfed when we gave it to her.  She won’t take that either.  So, please pray the bone pain lets up.
As I write this, I think of so many other children suffering right now.  Some are new hospital friends, some are cyber friends, and some are grown up children.  If you’re reading this and your child is hurting, we’re praying for you too.  I am confident that God will “turn our mourning into dancing again, He will loose our sackcloth and clothe us with joy”…  Psalm 30:11
Love
(from daisy's prayer journal @prayfordaisy.com)



"I’ve discovered Christ in a deeper way through suffering than I ever did through blessing." -Britt Merrick


years back before daisy was born and when her brother was just a baby i used to drive down to reality santa barbra, britt's then college ministry, with my friends just to hear him preach. it was after a dark time in my life and i was breaking free from my past and all the hurts that came with it.  i remember vividly during one of his sermons how GOD spoke right to my heart about forgiveness.  it was from that point on much restoration was made in my life.  when britt ended his time at reality i was really sad but i will always remember that time in my life and those car rides down with friends as the best and deepest of times with GOD.

10 comments:

Stephen and Tiffany Seston said...

showing the students who are praying for her!

Stephen and Tiffany Seston said...

and...what a gorgeous family! Seriously. In love.

Kirra said...

Jamie I am bawling my eyes out. Holy cow. Thanks for sharing that. Wow. I am going to be praying for Daisy. Beautiful video. Beautiful family, and beautiful testimony of God's goodness & His grace.

Unknown said...

Thank you, of course I am bawling too! I hadn't seen the video yet but still check the site every day and praying continually! What an amazing family and evidence of God's REALNESS in our lives!

Jamie said...

girls i'm am teary eyed just knowing you girls care so much. i think it's amazing you girls are praying for her.

Stephen and Tiffany Seston said...

Jamie! I showed it to my students. Some cried too! It is so great to illustrate God's faithfulness! That song. Melts. My. Heart. I've been a hot mess all day! How trivial such earthly things seem...thank you for showing that to me! I've been praying ALL day for that precious family and thanking God for a wonderful reminder of what REALLY matters!

Jamie said...

tiffany- i woke up thinking about daisy and just finished watching her video again and i still cry. i am a mess too. how awesome your class is praying for her! how awesome you are praying for her!

The Parsons' blog said...

It just breaks my heart. Really really breaks my heart. That family couldn't be more adorable or beautiful. Amazing testimony they are to the watching world. Thanks for sharing sweet, Jamie. xx

Stephen and Tiffany Seston said...

Did you hear did you hear?!?!? The tumor is BARELY THERE! Hallelujah!!!!

Jamie said...

i didn't know that!! ptl that is so awesome!